Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Access Denied When trying to crawl MySites

This happened to me recently. I was configuring a SharePoint 2013 farm with an auto installer. Had the configuration almost complete, and then I noticed that Search was throwing an error crawling my sites by looking at the crawl log.


sps3://[MySiteUrl]
Access is denied. Verify that either the Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has "Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application being crawled. ( HttpStatusCode Unauthorized The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. )


I took a peak around the site and everything looked ok. I then looked at the Manage Web Applications screen in Central Admin. To do this, select the web application, then click on User Policy in the ribbon. Make sure that the search crawl account has a full read on all web applications that you want it to index. In my case, even this was set correctly.

I then started poking around some more and went to the User Profile Service application and I found my answer. To do this, go to the service applications screen, highlight the User Profile Service application (not the proxy), by clicking to the right of the link. Once highlighted, click on the Administrators link in the ribbon, then add the search crawl account to this list and give it the 'Retrieve People Data for Search Crawlers'. Hit ok and do a full crawl. Your People search should work now. Happy SharePointing.




3 comments:

Kevin Taylor said...

I had a similar issue with FAST using File Shares. The crawling account has read access to a specific File Share, but I was getting the same access denied error as described in your post. After adding a crawl rule, specify the same crawl account and checking "Do not allow Basic Authentication" solved the access denied problem for me.
http://essayswriters.org/college/

Harry singh said...

Hi Faraz ,

Great blog ,nice post ,thanks for sharing the problem and solution .





Sharepoint Developers

Anonymous said...

Dear Faraz Bhai,

Thanks for such a helping post, it saved my time.


Thanks
Allah Bless You