Some of you might have experienced a problem with windows update in Vista. I installed Vista a couple of months ago and had the same problem. Whenever I would try to update my computer, it errored out with the message "Windows could not search for new updates. Error(s) 80244019. I tinkered around it for a few days before I found the reason and the fix. I had supposedly taken the laptop to work and plugged it into a domain, Vista adds a registry key to look for the WSUS server (when you add it to a domain) - hence my update would not work.
If you have the same problem, here is the resolution. Go to run --> regedit --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows. There should be a subkey under this called WindowsUpdate. Delete that WindowsUpdate and the AU key beneath that. Restart your computer and updates should work.